Report of the Meeting Held Wednesday, 10th February – England & Wales


Minutes of a meeting of the board of directors of the Company held on Zoom, Wednesday, 10th February 2021 at 11am

Present:                                                                                                               Apologies:

Sir Peter Luff (Chairman) – (SPL)                                                                         Bill Sharpe – (BS)

Mike Clist – (MC)                                                                                                     Emma McClarkin – (EM)

Kate Nicholls – (KN)

James Anderson – (JA)

Nick Griffin – (NG)

George Barnes – (GB)

Martin Caffrey – (MCa)

Andy Tighe – (AT)

Fiona Moran – (FM)


  1. Preliminary

The Chairman noted that the meeting had been duly convened, that a quorum of five directors were present in accordance with the Articles  of Association and declared the meeting open.


  1. Minutes of the last meeting Tuesday 20th October 2020

The Chair proceeded with the meeting by requesting that the minutes of the meeting held on 20th October 2020 to be proposed as a true and accurate record of the discussions that took place.

  • It was noted under Action Points on Point 5 that the date should be amended from 20th to the 21st.
  • MC commented that no further contact has been made by the two potential Independent Experts Mike Hughes and Stephen Hattley.  MCa suggested that he would  contact Mike Hughes.
  • MC gave an update in respect of the BII website going live in the next couple of months and that the PGB sites will also transfer at this time.

The Board approved the minutes.


  • FM to amend the date of the previous minutes and change on the website.
  • MCa to contact Mike Hughes.


  1. PGB Board Membership

MC informed the board that Chris Welham has left Wadworth and there needs to be a replacement pub company representative.

AT proposed that he would like to nominate Jayson Perfect, ex Fullers and now the Managing Director for Liberation Group /Butcombe Brewery where he has been for a number of years.  Jayson is keen to be involved and MC and JA said he would be a great addition to the board. The board approved and suggest FM update his details to the PGB website.


  • FM to get Jayson’s Bio and update to the PGB website.


  1. PICA-Service update of cases
  • FM advised the Board that there had been no new potential PICA-Service case enquiries since the last PGB meeting and all old cases removed from the database.
  • MC updated on call numbers from the BII and PGB helplines.
  1. PIRRS case update
  • FM gave an update on the open PIRRS Cases.
  • There are four open PIRRS cases, all which are currently with the Independent Experts waiting for an outcome.
  • There has been one new PIRRS enquiry, awaiting payment.
  • One case has been determined well within the 9 month timeframe since the last PGB meeting and one closed outside of PIRRS.
  • Tony Hunter has also reduced his exposure in the South but increased it in the Midlands area. FM has updated this on the website.
  1. Trademark

      MC discussed the trademark and informed the Board that he was worried that not many companies are using it and asked BBPA and the Board

to encourage its use. AT agreed to send out communication regularly as a lot of work has been done on this.

  • NG asked for another copy of the Trademark to be circulated.
  • MC also asked for this to be included on the new web-site.


  • AT to communicate to the pub companies re-iterating on the usage of the Trademark
  • FM to re-circulate the Trademark to the Board members.
  • FM to ensure it is uploaded to the new website.
  1. AOB

     NG asked if the Code of Practice would be updated. MC has spoken at length with AT and confirmed he had spoken to an individual who would   take the lead on this, who is very knowledgeable in this area. They are hoping this will happen this year as soon as businesses start to re-open.

  • NG asked if they would consult with members of the board, to which GB mentioned that it was discussed and agreed with them previously.
  • KN commented that the Landlord and Tenant act is due to be reviewed by government in the summer with a response due in autumn, it would be advisable to wait until the outcome.
  • MC commented that the PGB Scotland board is due to meet Thursday, 11th February and confirmed the new Chair for the Scottish Board is Jo Graham. MC also updated the board on the Bibbys Bill which, is still going through the amendment stage in Parliament.


  1. Date and Time of Next Meeting:
  • FM to send out Doodle Poll for early June 2021




Meeting Closed.

Back To List