Report of the meeting held Tuesday, 20th October 2020 – England & Wales

Minutes of a meeting of the board of directors of the Company held on Zoom, Tuesday, 20th October 2020 at 11am

Present:                                                                                                                     Apologies:

Sir Peter Luff (Chairman) – (SPL)                                                                                Kate Nicholls – (KN)

Mike Clist – (MC)                                                                                                             Bill Sharpe – (BS)

Emma McClarkin – (EM)                                                                                               James Anderson – (JA)

Nick Griffin – (NG)

Chris Welham – (CW)

George Barnes – (GB)

Martin Caffrey – (MCa)

Andy Tighe – (AT)

Fiona Moran – (FM)



  1. Preliminary

The Chairman noted that the meeting had been duly convened, that a quorum of five directors were present in accordance with the Articles of Association and declared the meeting open.


  1. Minutes of the last meeting 29th June 2020

The Chair proceeded with the meeting by requesting that the minutes of the meeting held on 29th June 2020 be proposed as a true and accurate record of the discussions that took place.

It was noted under Action Points on Point 5 that the initials GB should be removed by FM.

The Board approved the minutes.


  • FM to remove GB’s initials and send to SPL for approval.


  1. PICA-Service update of cases
  • FM advised the Board that there had been no new potential PICA-Service case enquiries since the last PGB meeting.
  • MC asked FM to remove all the closed PICA’s cases from the spreadsheet.


  • FM to remove all the closed PICAs cases from the Spreadsheet


4. PIRRS case update

  • FM gave an update on the open PIRRS Cases.
  • There are five open PIRRS cases, one of which is currently with the Independent expert waiting for an outcome.
  • There have been four further PIRRS enquiries, which are awaiting the payments and application forms.
  • One case has been determined well within the 9 month timeframe since the last PGB meeting.
  • MC commented that he expected to see a rise in the number of PIRRS cases, and a discussion was held as to whether rent reviews for pubs in the COVID-19 Tier 3 control areas can actually be carried out; SPL suggested that they could be done virtually.


5. 4TH Annual Audit Report


  • The Annual Audit report was reviewed by the Board. A couple of amendments were suggested for FM to update and re-circulate.
  • It was also agreed to release the report to the press as a single report with the Scottish report following the England and Wales report. MC said that they were hoping to appoint a new Scottish Chair at the meeting on the Wednesday, 21st EM commented that it was Important to have a Scottish PGB.
  • Please note on the 21st October the day after our meeting Jo Graham was appointed Chair of the Scottish PGB for one year. The Board decided on a one year rotational Chair chosen from members of their Board.


  • FM to update and re-circulate the Audit Report.


6.Year End Accounts

  • MC reviewed the accounts with the Board and if in agreement with the Scottish Board the accounts would remain covering both England, Wales and Scottish PGB’s. If the Scottish pubs were separate the cost per pub would be higher due to the fewer number of pubs.
  • The Board agreed and approved.



  • MC discussed the trademark and suggested that it would be good to now see it being used by companies and to encourage people to use it on their web-sites and in the Code of Practice.
  • EM agreed to circulate communication to this effect. 


  • EM to communicate to the pub companies re-iterating on the usage of the Trademark


 8. AOB 

  • MC reviewed the two applications for PIRRS Independent Experts received by Thomas Nicholas of Everard Cole and Chris Whirledge of Pub Innsite Ltd, these were both approved by the Board. Two further parties due to submit their application from Mike Hughes and Stephen Hattley will be circulated once application forms are received.
  • MC gave an update regarding the Web-site development and the Board Agreed to transfer to BII’s new provider.


9.Date and Time of Next Meeting:

  • FM to send out Doodle Poll for late January 2021 / Early February 2021


Meeting Closed.

Back To List