Report of the meeting held Monday 21st October 2019


Minutes of a meeting of the board of directors of the Company held at BBPA Offices, Brewers’ Hall, Aldermanbury Square, London, EC2V 7HR on Monday, 21st October 2019 at 12:30 pm

Present:                                                                                                          Apologies:

Sir Peter Luff (Chairman) – (SPL)                                                                   Kate Nicholls – (KN)

Mike Clist – (MC)                                                                                             Chris Welham – (CW)

Nick Griffin – (NG)                                                                                            George Barnes – (GB)

Bill Sharpe – (BS)

James Anderson – (JA)

Martin Caffrey – (MCa)

Andy Tighe – (AT)

Fiona Moran – (FM)




Sir Peter Luff welcomed Andy Tighe – Policy Director at the British Beer and Pub Association to the meeting.


  1. Preliminary

The Chairman noted that the meeting had been duly convened, that a quorum of five directors were present in accordance with the Articles of Association and declared the meeting open.


  1. Minutes of the last meeting 20th May 2019

The Chair proceeded with the meeting by requesting that the minutes of the meeting held on 20th May 2019 be proposed as a true and accurate record of the discussions that took place. The Board approved the minutes.


  1. Matters arising from the minutes


Item 8 – Statutory Review of the Pub Code and Pubs Code Adjudicator


  • MC confirmed that the draft letter regarding the Statutory Review was submitted to the Pubs Code Adjudicator on 15th July 2019. The outcome of the review is due on 31st October 2019, MC confirmed that the date is unlikely to be met.


Item 9 – Kite Mark


  • AT gave an update and informed the board the Kite Mark has now been accepted but will have a 3 month notification period before it can be used. Assuming no objections are received, it will be available for use by companies the end of the year. AT will prepare a letter, which will then be sent to all signatories to the code informing them how and where to use the kite mark.



  • MC informed the board that he has not received any further email response back from the PEAT email query relating to sediment in cask ale.
  • MC informed the Board that the BII’s Tied Trade Forum is being held at the beginning of November, this will be an opportunity to discuss and promote PEAT.


  1. PICA-Service update of cases
  • FM advised the Board that there had been no new potential PICA-Service case enquiries since the last PGB meeting.
  • MC updated the board with an outline of the helpline calls and the queries raised. SP raised the question did we need to assess whether our report actually covers what tenants and lessees feel. MC confirmed that Katy Moses (KM Media) carries out a survey each year and agreed to ask her to come and present to the next PGB meeting on the principles behind it.
  • JA asked if the number of calls was increasing or declining, MC confirmed that there has been an increase from non-members to the PICA Service helpline but that overall numbers to the BII helpline have fallen from a peak of 75 to an average of 30 per month.


  • MC to speak with Katy (KM Media) at the Tied Trade Forum in November


  • 5. PIRRS case update and Independent Experts
  • FM gave an update on the open PIRRS Cases.
  • There are currently four active cases, three of which are new since the last PGB meeting.
  • Two cases are currently with the Independent Expert and waiting for an outcome.
  • There has been one PIRRS enquiry, which we are waiting on payment and application forms.
  • Four cases are now closed due to non-payment or settlement out of PIRRS.
  • Three cases have been determined well within the 9 month timeframe.
  • Jon Stone from Stonesmith is no longer dealing with PIRRS, this brings the number of Independent Experts to 14 with four covering the South West area.


  1. PGB Scotland Update


  • MC gave an update and overview on forming a PGB in Scotland and informed the board that he has identified members but is still considering the position of an independent Chair.
  • FM would administer the new SPGB and meetings would likely be twice a year.
  • Any significant amendments to the Scotland Code of Practice would be agreed with the wider PGB
  • It was agreed by the board that a Scottish PGB would be a good move



MC to set up PGB Scotland


  1. Annual Audit


  • MC reported to the board that this year has seen a decrease in errors which has made compilation much easier.
  • A discussion was held around Holden’s Brewery, MC confirmed they have now joined the PGB. NG asked if there were any other companies that we have missed out, MC confirmed that they have all been double checked. Once the Kite Mark has been agreed we can use it to try and persuade non code companies to sign up.
  • The board approved the report and it was confirmed that BBPA would assist in writing a press release to accompany the report, FM confirmed she would upload the annual audit to the PGB website and provide a list of companies that have not paid for AT to chase.



  • AT to organise a press release to accompany the Annual Audit.
  • FM to upload the Annual Audit to the PGB website once the Press Release goes out
  • FM to provide a list of companies that have not paid to AT and he will chase them.
  • FM to report on any outstanding companies that have not paid at the next PGB meeting.


  1. AOB


  • MC discussed the character reference request, received by both MC and MCa from Martin Nicholson a previous Independent Expert.   MC discussed that Nicolson has been thrown out of RICS. He has 28 days to appeal. The PIRRS, FLVA, BII company logos are still appearing on his web-site. MC has asked him to remove them and will send a solicitor’s note once the 28 day appeal period expires.
  • MC discussed the structure of the board, following BS departure from BBPA. MC confirmed that Emma McClarkin should be invited to join as the new BBPA Chief Executive. FM to remove BS. It was agreed that any member wishing to join the board would have to been agreed by the remaining Board members as per the constitution.
  • NG gave an updated of his new Licensees Association, and this will be discussed further at the next PGB meeting in March. MC asked NG to update his bio and send to FM. MC also addressed the rest of the board and requested any updates to their Bio to be sent to FM.
  • MC updated the board on Steven Alton’s appointment and confirmed he would still be doing the helpline calls for the foreseeable future.





  • MC to write to Martin Nicholson regarding the removal of logos from his website – diarised for 28 days’ time.
  • FM to remove Brigid Simmonds from the PGB website.
  • MC to update Companies House
  • FM to include a discussion with NG regarding the Licensees Association on the agenda for March 2020.
  • All Board members with changes in their Bio to be sent to FM.



  1. Date and Time of Next Meeting:


  • FM to send out Doodle Poll for March 2020



Back To List