Report of the Meeting Held Monday, 20th May 2019

Minutes of a meeting of the board of directors of the Company held at BBPA Offices, Brewers’ Hall, Aldermanbury Square, London, EC2V 7HR on Monday, 20th May 2019 at 12:30 pm

Present:                                                                                                               Apologies:

Sir Peter Luff (Chairman) – (SPL)                                                                 Nick Griffin – (NG)

Mike Clist – (MC)                                                                                             Martin Caffrey – (MCa)

Brigid Simmonds – (BS)                                                                                 Kate Nicholls – (KN)

Bill Sharpe – (BS)

Chris Welham – (CW)

James Anderson – (JA)

George Barnes – (GB)

Fiona Moran – (FM)





The Chairman noted that the meeting had been duly convened, that a quorum of five directors were present in accordance with the Articles of Association and declared the meeting open.


2. Minutes of the last meeting 21st January 2019

The Chair proceeded with the meeting by requesting that the minutes of the meeting held on 21st January 2019 be proposed as a true and accurate record of the discussions that took place.  The Board approved the minutes.


3.Matters arising from the minutes


  • MC updated the board with regards to the appointment of a new Chairman for PGB Scotland. Unfortunately the first candidate approached had to turn down the offer due to family commitments. BS informed the meeting that The Scottish Beer & Pub Association has their next meeting on 14th June and will discuss an alternative to approach.
  • BS also confirmed that Scotland are considering introducing a Scottish Pubs Code.



  • BS to update PGB Board after her meeting on 14th June 2019.


4. PICA-Service update of cases

  • FM advised the Board that there had been no new potential PICA-Service case enquiries since the last PGB meeting. FM has updated the spreadsheet and removed all of the cases relating to 2017.
  • MC updated the board with the number of helpline calls and informed the board that he had received around 1,200 calls in the last year and 20% of these from the under 500 pub companies.
  • Most calls relate to day to day matters including inventory and dilapidations queries. These queries in most cases are normally resolved within 24 hours.
  • MC informed the board that he was happy to continue taking the helpline calls once he steps down as CEO, but continues with external relations for BII.


5. PIRRS case update

  • FM gave an update on the open PIRRS Cases.
  • There are currently five active cases, two of which are new cases since the last PGB meeting.
  • Three cases are currently with the Independent Expert and waiting for an outcome.
  • There have been seven PIRRS enquiries, three of which we are waiting on payment and application forms.
  • Four cases are now closed due to non-payment or settlement out of PIRRS.
  • Four cases have been determined well within the 9 month timeframe, with one case going to arbitration.


6.Annual Audit (August 2019 – July 2020) – Review of Questions

  • A discussion was held to update the annual audit questionnaire to achieve greater consistency in response.
  • Changes are to be made by FM and re-circulated to the board. 


  • FM to amend the questionnaire and re-circulate it to the board for review with the minutes.


7.Subscription Fees and Management Accounts

  • MC informed the board the new layout of the management accounts.
  • MC discussed the budget for next year and to take into account the cost for the kite mark and future training. The Board agreed to keep the current subscription of £18. MC will amend the budget figures and send out the updated copy with the minutes.
  • The board approved the management accounts. 


8. Statutory Review of the Pub Code and Pubs Code Adjudicator

  • MC suggested that the PGB should put in a submission and a letter from SPL.
  • It was agreed that the submission would take the form of a copy of the audit report and a covering letter making it clear that the current system for the under 500 companies was clearly working.
  • BS confirmed that the BBPA will continue to support the exclusion of smaller companies from the Statutory Code. 


  • MC to draft the letter on behalf of SPL, to submit by 22nd July 2019.


9. AOB

Kite Mark

  • BS gave an update and circulated the rules for use of the Kite Mark. BS asked for approval for the PGB to pay for the kite mark which was approved.
  • GB suggested a change in wording for the last bullet point which was agreed. BS to recirculate with the minutes.
  • GB discussed the PGB being more pro-active toward other pub companies subscribing. A discussion was held around our approach and how companies run their business with no code in place. MC confirmed that the code helps with solving helpline calls. SPL suggested a formal approach, and for it to be an item on the next meeting agenda in September.


  • BS to update the “kite mark rules for use” and re-circulate.
  • FM to include pursuing none PGB members on the agenda for the next meeting.



  • MC held a discussion around the PEAT email received and the response back – the board approved the email for FM to send.
  • MC informed the board that there would be no changes to PEAT until the pub code review has finished.



  • FM to respond to the PEAT email (FM sent 22/05/2019)


10.  Date and Time of Next Meeting:

  • FM to send out Doodle Poll for September 2019
Back To List