Report of the Meeting held Monday, 15th October 2018


Minutes of a meeting of the board of directors of the Company held at BBPA Offices, Brewers’ Hall, Aldermanbury Square, London, EC2V 7HR on Monday, 15th October 2018 at 12:30 pm

Present:                                                                                                       Apologies:

Sir Peter Luff (Chairman)- (SPL)                                                                  Kate Nicholls – (KN)

Mike Clist – (MC)                                                                                             Chris Welham (CW)

Brigid Simmonds – (BS)                                                                                 James Anderson (JA)

Bill Sharpe (BS)

Nick Griffin (NG)

Martin Caffrey (MCa)

George Barnes (GB)

Fiona Moran – (FM)




The Chairman noted that the meeting had been duly convened, that a quorum of five directors were present in accordance with the Articles of Association and declared the meeting open.


2.Minutes of the last meeting 21st May 2018

The Chair proceeded with the meeting by requesting that the minutes of the meeting held on 21st May 2018 be proposed as a true and accurate record of the discussions that took place.  The Board approved the minutes.

3.Matters arising from the minutes

  • MC confirmed that he had written to Daniel Mackernan of Savills for recommendations of any interested parties who would like to join the PIRRS panel. We have now three new Independent Experts, two from Fleurets and one from SBC Property bringing the total number of PIRRS Panel Experts to 14. MC confirmed that it is the tenant’s choice of whom they appoint as Independent Expert.
  • NG commented that the number of PIRRS experts that cover the North of England was slim, MC responded by confirming that any expert can be appointed irrespective of where they live.

4. PICA-Service update of cases

  • FM advised the Board that there had been no new PICA-Service enquires since the last PGB meeting.
  • MC confirmed that he had received 5 to 15 calls a month to the BII helpline since the instigation of the Pubs Code. Most were from tenants or lessees of the six companies covered by the Statutory Code and most were resolved immediately with the companies concerned. Two or three have the potential to become PICA’s cases in due course
  • MCa asked whether PICAs could be opened up to the over 500 companies. All agreed that the objective must be for the Code to work better for tenants on a daily basis. BS confirmed that in accordance with the legislation, the PCA should be dealing with behavioural issues, but all agreed that there was more work to do. The Board discussed the cost and who would pay. The larger companies would not want to pay an additional fee to that already being paid to the PCA. BS said she would be meeting with the Big 6 Company CEO’s over the next couple of weeks and is happy to raise the question with them


  • MC to speak to Paul Newby at the Tied Trade Forum
  • BS to report back the response from the Big 6 companies at the next PGB meeting.


 5.PIRRS case update

FM gave an update on the open PIRRS Cases.

  • 12 active cases, 10 of which are new cases since the last PGB meeting.
  • 7 cases are currently with the Independent Experts. One open case is currently on hold and is currently being negotiated out of PIRRS.
  • There are two further potential cases both awaiting payment from the tenants and 3 cases have closed since the last meeting.

The PIRRS Panel

FM confirmed that that the Independent Experts are all responding in a timely manner.


6. Year to Date Accounts

  • MC circulated and discussed the year to date accounts for 01/08/17 – 30/09/18 and the forecast for 01/08/18 – 31/07/19.
  • MC confirmed the number of pubs was higher than anticipated which shows we are in a good financial position.
  • MC informed the Board that Phil Dixon will stand down in November and a new professional adviser will be sought to cover MC when on holiday


7. Annual Audit

  • MC circulated the Annual Audit for review, and explained to the Board that a lot of time had been spent liaising with the companies to get the correct answers.
  • MCa was concerned that there had been a high number of PEAT waivers, FM clarified that all these waivers were for experienced tenants, most of whom were multiple tenants and lessees and that there were no waivers for business plans.
  • MC confirmed that there was an overall improvement in BDM training. The Board discussed future training at item 8.


FM to circulate the report, to press and pub companies once changes have been made.

BS to chase the pub companies with outstanding fees in due course.


8. AOB


  • MC gave an update to the status of the BDM training.
  • MC suggested a work book, classed as an accreditation not a qualification to in-corporate, rents, with a RICS style two day course and sign off procedure
  • MC confirmed that this would be discussed further at the Tied Trade Forum.


MC to give BDM training update at the next PGB meeting.

Scottish PIRRS / PICAS:

  • MC circulated the papers and opened the discussion regarding a PGB Scotland and the cost and political implications. PGB Scotland would be constituted as a sub-body of the PGB. A new Chairman would need to be appointed and the board would consist of pub company representatives in Scotland and tenant bodies for Scottish licensees.   The Board agreed for a new Chairman to be appointed for PGB Scotland and approved the paper.


To appoint a new Chairman for PGB Scotland.


Kite Mark

  • MC circulated the paper “Accreditation for signatories to the Codes of Practice for the Pub Sector” a discussion was held, a simple kite mark would be commissioned by the PGB, which accredited pub companies could then use on marketing and other materials. All current signatories to the codes would be accredited based on their last compliance report.
  • BS confirmed the BBPA would develop the logo and commented that such a Kite Mark should attract more pub companies to support the Code.
  • GB suggested finding out if there are any additional companies that we should try and get on board. MC informed the board that he has a list and it would be worth re-visiting them.


BS to design Kite Mark logo

MC to provide list of pub companies to approach.


 9.Date and Time of Next Meeting:

  • FM to send out Doodle Poll for January 2019


Back To List